Wednesday, 11 September 2013

Through your eyes




On a sunny Sunday afternoon, I took a trip to the famous Sloane Street. I looked very presentable thanks to my course mate, Mufadzi who took the time to dress me up because I made the mistake of telling her that I did not understand the hype about certain high streets in London and that I decided to pay Sloane Street a visit. Mufadzi accessorised me with her Bottega Veneta tote bag, Hermes bracelet and Louis Vuitton belt while muttering, “don’t you know you are going to a big man’s area?”
 I drew the attention of pedestrians on the high street and commanded the respect of sales men and sales women in the shops. The thought of being effortlessly noticed and regarded as someone important because of my eye - catching apparels baffled me. I felt like an ugly woman covered up in good make up. I wondered what these people (who made me feel soo important) would have thought if they knew that the expensive accessories I flaunted belonged to someone else. Would they have treated me the same way if I walked into their shops wearing Primark from head to toe? I began to pay attention to the treatment I received from people on days that I went all out to look good and on days that I did not. The response and reactions I got could not be compared.
The world expects us to dress to impress or be oppressed and this makes it very easy to be validated by objects that speak for us…. objects of lesser value compared to character…hence we live life though the eyes of others

Loretta Okpuno

No comments:

Post a Comment