Monday, 26 November 2012

The "Miss" Desperate for the "Mrs"

Few weeks ago I eavesdropped on two fresh-looking young men talking about their personal lives at a bus stop. It felt good to be feeding my ears while I waited for my bus. I mean nothing sounds better than listening to two drop dead gorgeous and fluent Nigerian men holding a proper conversation. I got carried away with the manner in which they spoke and the scent of an exotic fragrance oozing from their direction. However distracted I was, I was more sad than shocked at the statement made by one of the dark eye candies. He said with a shrug "There's no rush my brother...I've bought the ring already and I know she's been longing for it...she would have to be crazy not to accept my proposal...she should wait jare...who knows, I might find someone better". They chuckled and ran to catch their bus.
I pondered on that statement and it made me realise how easy ladies make it for our dear men.

I have always believed that it is more profitable to love someone genuinely without a hidden agenda or wanting something in return. Some ladies will go an extra mile or tolerate the unthinkable to save a relationship because they want the end result to be marriage. Hence they get disappointed because of the things they had to do/give up in the process. That is a story for another day but it is sad to think that in a woman's book every relationship must lead to marriage. That explains why most men are scared of commitments.

Being in a relationship with someone is not a guarantee that you will end up married to that person. For this reason, a woman should enjoy, appreciate and learn from her relationships. It should not be an avenue to settle for less rather an opportunity to be certain of what she feels for that special man and to decide if what she shares with him is worth having for the rest of her life. The ring or promises should not be the determining factors of a life with her man. It should be based mostly on her feelings and judgements.
Men will always say "there are a lot of fishes in the river" forgetting that there are sharks, wastes and left overs as well. A woman should not deprive herself of the right to choose who she wants to spend the rest of her life with. Above all, she should not settle for less.

If you are a "Miss" desperate to be his "Mrs" its only fair that he's desperate to be your "Mr"

Writer - Loretta Okpuno

Editor - Sophi Oduyale



2 comments: